The Performing Arts League, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote youth involvement in the performing arts. We hold fundraisers and distribute the resulting funds as scholarships to individual school aged children for extended instruction for their specific performing art, and as grants to organizations that actively support young performing artists. Three events were held last year.
The Sunday Showcase event occurred on October 22, 2017 and highlighted school-age talent and the organizations that foster and support that talent. Performances included Ballet Tennessee, Barger Academy of Fine Arts Movement Makers, Chattanooga Ballet, Chattanooga Girls Choir, CSO Youth Orchestras, Christian Family Theater, Chattanooga Theatre Centre Youth Theatre, Civic Ballet of Chattanooga, and East Lake Academy of Fine Arts Band. The performances were warmly received by a large, enthusiastic crowd. This event raised over $7,000 through ticket sales, donations, and corporate sponsors.
‘A Dramatic Affair’ was held on February 2, 2018 at the Chattanooga Theatre Centre. This event was completely sold out. Those in attendance enjoyed a delicious seated dinner in the Main Stage Lobby. After dinner, everyone moved to the Circle Theatre to be entertained by Agatha Christie’s The Mysterious Affair at Styles. A private dessert reception was held following the performance for the Cast and Director Steve Ray. Over $7,000 was raised through ticket sales, donations, corporate sponsors, and a silent auction.
The ‘Hearts for the Arts’ fashion show was held on April 13, 2018 at the Chattanooga Golf and Country Club. the fashion show featured clothing from Alice Blue/Hanover Blue, Irma Marie and Yacoubian Tailors. All attendees got to experience student performers from Ballet Tennessee, Christian Family Theater and Chattanooga Christian School. In addition, back by popular demand, was the exciting Baubles Boutique and silent auction. Over $14,000 was raised through ticket sales, donations, corporate sponsors, baubles sales, and the silent auction.
In addition to these events, another $3,600 was received as donations.
As a result of these fundraising efforts, the Performing Arts League was able to distribute $24,712.00 in scholarships and grants. These include:
1. $5212 in scholarships to individual students towards summer dance or instrument instruction
2. $5000 to Hamilton County Dept. of Education to purchase band instruments for Lookout Valley Middle/High School
3. $4000 as Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra’s Youth Orchestra scholarship awards, which were awarded to individual students
4. $2000 to Kiwanis Club of Chattanooga towards the Clifton Hills Elementary School Outdoor Music Playground
5. $2000 to String Theory towards their 2018 Community Outreach project, Sandbox Percussion
6. $2000 to Christian Family Theater towards new sound equipment
7. $1500 to Chattanooga Boys Choir towards the ‘Only Men Aloud’ event
8. $1500 to Chattanooga Girls Choir towards the Hamilton County All Female Choral Festival
9. $1500 to Chattanooga Theatre Centre towards the ‘Dramatic Arts experience’